Monday 9 June 2008

Martin's Bachelor Party

It's an over-used expression, I know, but it's been a hectic week. Last week was a roller-coaster. One one day I was sure I was not going to graduate and would have to cancel my graduation party, on another day I hear that I would, after all, get the grade for my final course in time for graduation. So many people have been praying for me, I am absolutely sure, because I've been working against the clock all through spring - but managed to pull it off.


Last weekend was also hectic, but in a more positive way. My friends Päivi and Martin are getting married in July, and I and another friend Mika are Martin's bestmen. We kidnapped Martin straight from work at noon on Friday and, after having a fun two days, returned him in the early hours of Sunday. The weekend included such things as rally driving, sauna and grilling, midnight poker, unsuccessfully picking a fight with an aggressive group of drunk men, successfully picking a fight with a Brazilian Jiu-jitsu champion, bowling, watching UFC (London this time), and the like. I've enclosed a picture of Martin "meditating" after having "clearly submitted" the BJJ champ. But not without first taking a toll (if you click on the photo you can see a tooth beside his left leg). Seriously speaking, Martin displayed some impeccable sportsmanship. My hat goes off for him.

5 comments:

Jason Lepojärvi said...

I guess it would be fair to clarify that it really isn't a tooth.

Though punches and kicks are allowed in Brazilian Jujitsu, its sports mode - which Martin "participated" in - leaves them out. However, BJJ grapplers are powerful. Even if one is a black belt karate champ, once those BJJ guys get a hold of you its "noo moo kung-fuuu".

The locks and chokes left some pretty marks on Martin's neck, throat, hands and shoulders. He had some explaining to do at home, I presume.

Jussi Ruokomäki said...

Dude, congratulations! Not for your bestmanship, although it is quite a thing to achieve, but for the graduation. We're extremely happy for you!

Jason Lepojärvi said...

Thank you, Jussi & Hanna!

I REALLY am relieved. For a moment there, I was fearing the worst (one extra year of studies).

Now, let's see where life takes me from here.

Anonymous said...

Until I read the comments, I believed that it was a tooth! So gullible. Glad to see that all of you survived the bachelor party. :)

-Saila

Jason Lepojärvi said...

Heh, Saila stay tuned for more BJJ pictures later on.

I read your latest posts from Moscow. Wow, it sure sounds like you're learning a lot about life. I'm sure the diploma for the school you're in is sublime.

Under the mercy,
Jason