Tuesday 5 May 2009

Scuba Diving Course



It would have been smart to take a Swahili course at the beginning of my stay here in Tanzania. But I was way too busy with everything, mostly with my studies. However, I have now completed all the courses I intended to and I ran out of books.

But it wouldn't be wise to do a language course now, just before leaving again for who knows how long. So instead I have decided to take the PADI open water diving course. It's something I've wanted to do since I first tried out snorkeling in the Similan Islands in Thailand.

4 comments:

Rose said...

sounds like fun! I would be too scared poop to do it myself. Something about everything about everything worries me. Good thing you're doing it tho! :-)

Jason Lepojärvi said...

I did a Discovery Dive in 2006 here in Dar es Salaam. Discovery Dive includes a video, a crash course in the pool, and then out to sea with a diving partner (professional). I loved it.

Coincidentally, the diving partner that I had will be my Diving Instructor (Dive Master) this week. The same guy.

And luckily, it is low-season now, so I might get very personalized training. In fact the Dive Master has so much spare time, I'm waiting him to pick me up as we speak! So I get a ride there and back, every day for the next five days.

I am a very lucky guy.

Rose said...

nonnih!

Jason Lepojärvi said...

A great first day. Not only is it low season, we have hit rock bottom with me being the ONLY student.

So I got extra good teaching today, special attention. The Dive Master is a great guy. He gave me a lift and even bought me a beer.

Tomorrow we finish the pool sessions. On Thursday we hit the open water. Two one-hour dives.

On Friday - or, if I prefer, next week - the remaining two dives. Then the theory exam and I should have my licence.