Wednesday 9 July 2008

Pappa and Benjy

When my brother Danny and his wife Sirkku flew to Finland for their summer holiday, the only place that could accommodate them was Sirkku's parents'. Well, it turned out to be loaded with benefits. According to reports, when baby Daniella and/or Benjy wake up early in he morning, all Danny and Sirkku need to do is open their bedroom door. Awaiting behind the door are two pairs of outstretched grandparent arms. Pappa and Mummi have been up since seven waiting for this moment. Danny and Sirkku hand over the woken baby or two and go back to sleep. For parents of small children, this must truly be a superb perk!


Meanwhile, Daniella's and Benjy's uncle - or "Big Daddy", as it's in Swahili - is at home. This summer he refused to give up his apartment to the African relatives. "I want to enjoy the beach nearby," he said, "for this is my last summer in this apartment." Coincidentally the summer's been the worst for years: we're well into July already, and I haven't been on the beach once. I should have just given up my apartment and got points for being a "good uncle".

No comments: